Let’s start with the physical appearance and then we will move on to the specs and other comparisons. Starting with the HTC One, it is a solidly built phone with an aluminum body. It is nice, sturdy and even with a metal body it is pretty lightweight. It has a camera at the back with LED flash and the volume rocker is to the right. The left is completely empty. The top has the 3.5mm jack and power button. Two frontal speakers on the front top and bottom and 2 capacitive buttons for back and a multitask home button.
The Galaxy S4 has a plastic body with its loudspeaker at the back. It has a volume rocker at the left and a physical home button in the front. It also has two capacitive buttons for menu and recent apps. Build wise the HTC One scores more than the S4 due to the sturdiness of the metal body over plastic.
1. Specifications: Samsung Galaxy S4 has a 1.6 GHz Cortex A-15 and Quad core 1.2 GHz Cortex A-7 with a PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU. It comes with 2 GB of RAM and 16/32 GB internal storage options. It also has a micro SD card slot expandable upto 64 GB. The phone is powered with a 2600 mAh battery.
The HTC One has a 1.7 GHz Quad core Krait 300 processor with Adreno 320 GPU and Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 chipset. It is contains 2 GB RAM and comes in 32/64 GB internal storage options. There is no expandable card slot and is powered by 2300 mAh battery which is not removable unlike the S4. So in this case the Samsung Galaxy S4 gets a point over the HTC One.
2. Screen: The Galaxy S4 has a 5” Super AMOLED screen with a Full GS display of 1920 X 1080 at 441 ppi. The viewing angles of the phone are great and the colour reproduction is pretty good. The HTC on the other hand has a 4.7” Super LCD display, also Full HD, 1920 X 1080 at 469 ppi which is the best for any phone available in the market till date. The colour reproduction and brightness of the phone is much better than the S4 but the blacks are better in S4 due to the AMOLED screen. Also the brightness of the HTC is better and viewing the phone outside is much better. So despite the bigger screen, the S4 loses this one to the HTC One.
3. Sound/Call Quality: Both the phones have good sound quality and there have been no call drops being recorded on the phones. But that being said, the HTC One’s BoomSound has a better sound reproduction than the S4’s rear loudspeaker. So enjoying music and movies is more fun on the HTC One. The S4 is also not bad, but the HTC is better. So the HTC One wins this round.
4. OS: HTC One comes with HTC’s own Sense 5.0 which is HTC’s custom android version built over the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. It has lots of cool features like the BlinkFeed which brings all your social updates and notification on the home screen itself so that you do not have to look around for your stuff. The Galaxy S4 comes with Samsung’s own TouchWiz UI built over Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. This means in terms of the OS S4 has an upper hand. There are many cool features in the S4 like the Air gesture, Air View, Group Play, Smart Pause, etc. HTC is awaiting its 4.2.2 update soon, but that still has some time to go. Till then the Samsung Galaxy S4 has the upper hand here.
5. Camera: On comparison of the camera, the Galaxy S4 has a 13MP camera that is capable of capturing HD videos of 1080p at 30 fps and the images of the S4 are superb with lots of colours and clarity. The LED flash is more than sufficient for great shots. The camera also comes with some amazing features like the Sound and Shot, Eraser, Animated, etc.
The camera on the HTC One is a 4 MP Ultrapixel camera that is capable of recording 1080p videos but its images are not as superior as that of the S4. There are some cool features like the HTC Zoey where you can capture 3-4 second videos and create a GIF of it and also the gallery of your phone can be created in to a small musical slideshow showing the highlights of it all so that you can browse through it quickly. But all that included, still overall the camera of the Samsung Galaxy S4 is much better than the HTC One.
We just compared the two best phones in the market, the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4 and we have finally reached a verdict. Both the phones are pretty equally matches in all terms, but overall with the hardware specs, OS, Camera and the rest, the Samsung Galaxy S4 emerges as a winner among the two. Still it can all be a personal choice for many but if you are looking to buy a phone for its features and performance, then it is the S4 that you should be opting for.
Author Bio Sunil Khale
The author is a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering and has since devoted his time to blogging on technology with PriceCheckIndia, where you can find the latest HTC mobile price in India as well as the best price for a number of other electronics goods.
- Mobile Showdown – Samsung Galaxy S4 v/s HTC One – Which one should you choose?
- Samsung finally unveiled its Galaxy Note 8.0
- Samsung launches Galaxy Grand Quattro in India,with price tag of Rs17,290
- Samsung Galaxy J3 vs Samsung Galaxy J2: the budget 4G-enabled smartphones
- Samsung Galaxy S Duos new Dual SIM Android Mobile